Tuesday, December 19, 2006

To Hell And Back

I just got back from an awesome business trip and even though I went through Hell the trip was phenomenal. Allow me to explain…

This trip happened to be on a cruise boat and the sea days were chalked full of education then every night we’d meet from 8 or 9 in the evening and talk business into the wee hours of the morning. When we weren’t at sea we’d take a little time off to go ashore and explore some exotic location.

Our first port day we find ourselves in Grand Cayman, a small tropical island that is flat as board. My buddy Shanu and I catch the tender (shuttle boat) into port to look around check things out.



My Good Friend Shanu & I Heading To Shore

When I’m someplace new I like to get off the beaten path to get a feel for the area and locals. Today we decide to rent some scooters and cruise the island.

After talking to a few locals we decide to take a scenic drive up 7 mile beach. The roads are English style and it takes a little getting used to driving on the left. There is something liberating about the open road and while a Harley would have been better the scooter was a close second.



It's No Harley But At Least I Had The Helmet!

One of the famous locations in Grand Cayman is a place called Hell. Having been told to go there on a few occasions we decide to check it out. Unfortunately we end up lost on a dead end dirt road. In need of some help we cruise up to some locals on our manly scooters.

My buddy Shanu is originally from India and when one of the islanders asks if he works on the boat I nearly fall off my bike from laughing so hard. But Shanu is a good sport and this would not be the last time people jumped to the wrong conclusion.

After some chit chat I ask for directions to Hell and the islander tells me to turn around and drive straight pointing out to the ocean and says “Just keep goin' man and you gonna find it!” A little island humor.

Next thing I know they tell us to follow them and "we all goin’ to Hell." We figure we have nothing to lose because if they had bad intentions we were already in a remote enough location where it would not have mattered.

Four or five guys jump into the van and after about 10 minutes we arrive in Hell. We talk for a bit and the islanders are fun loving and welcoming.

An Easy Going Cayman Islander

I have to admit it was hot in Hell and I did burn a bit but overall it was much nicer than expected.


Hell Has The Only Official Post Office In Grand Cayman


Hell Is Named After What It Looks Like!

From Hell we cruise around on the Island, grab lunch then leave the restaurant and see this iguana.


A Grand Cayman Squirrel.

As we cruise around Grand Cayman we see a lot of new construction and existing homes on the market for sale. And while it is a pretty tropical island it’s not really a place I would want to call home.

But I know there are some great deals to be found. Here’s a picture where a resort may have met its demise from a hurricane. Definitely a real fixer property but the demolition has already been completed.


Grand Cayman Fixer Upper. Oceanfront With View!

When I talk about real estate investing I’ll often talk about the nine D’s of real estate and why real estate works in every market. For your review here are the 9 d’s:

1. Death
2. Divorce
3. Despair / Life Changes
4. Delinquent Tenants
5. Debt Service
6. Distance
7. Disinterest
8. Downsizing
9. Damage (fire, flood, vandals)

And now it looks like we can make it the 10 D’s of Real Estate and add:

10. Disaster

No matter where you find yourself there is almost always opportunity for real estate investors. The key is learning how to buy properties right because once you master buying at steep discounts you control your income and future.

There’s much more to this journey but one of the best benefits from the entire trip was sharing the experience with others. Do your best to surround yourself with like minded people and not only will you learn, grow, and recharge your batteries you’ll have a lot of fun in the process.


Now go buy a house!


Gerald Romine
www.geraldromine.com


PS - Now is the time to crank up your buying and this wholesaling system will make things happen for you like you never imagined!

No comments: